Designed by William Towns, October 1976 saw Aston Martin reveal a striking new model, a new 4 door Lagonda with innovative solid state digital instrumentation, a futuristic concept at the time. Lagonda created a wave of publicity for the company and the order book filled rapidly, particularly from the Middle East market.
The Aston Martin Lagonda was updated again in 1987 when William Towns rounded off the edges of the car giving it a fresh new look. Enhancements included a re-designed nose where six smaller lights replace the pop-up headlamps and new 16” alloy wheels. A total of 645 chassis were built before the end of production in 1989. Each car required 2,200 man-hours to build and only about 25 were built per year for the U.S. market.
The 'Tickford' Lagonda
The ‘Tickford Lagonda’ made its debut in 1983 produced by the in-house coachbuilding subsidiary. These special cars reflected the styling trends of the early 1980s, featuring flared body panels and full colour coding. Inside the already sumptuous interior were cocktail cabinets, upgraded hi-fi equipment, colour TV’s and a video player. Customers could also choose an extended wheelbase ‘limousine’.
DOHC v8, 5340 cc, 280 bhp @ 5000 rpm 360 lbs-ft @ 3000 rpm
Front: Telescopic shock absorbers and anti roll bar Rear: Self levelling coil spring and shock absorber units
5283 x 1816 x 1302 mm
Front and rear ventilated discs
0 - 60 mph: